Experience – Laguna Colorada, Bolivia.
- Address: Laguna Colorada, Bolivia (Google Maps)
- Hours: All Day
- Recommended Time: 2 hours
- How to Arrive: By car
- Distance from Uyuni: 293 km / 182 miles
- Distance from San Pedro de Atacama: 147 km / 91 miles
- Ideal Month(s): November – March
Laguna Colorada is a shallow red salt lake in the southwest of the altiplano of Bolivia, within the Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve. Laguna Colorada is famous for its stunning white-speckled, red color. Sprinkled with red algae and other microorganisms, the water is a deep orange-red hue. The lake is close to the border with Chile, sitting just 147 kilometers (91 miles) from San Pedro de Atacama.
Laguna Colorada is filled with James flamingos, and also attracts Andean and Chilean flamingos. Aside from flamingos, the area is home to various fauna including llamas, alpacas, Andean foxes, cats, and pumas.