Experience – Lagunas Escondidas de Baltinache (Hidden Lagoons) – Atacama, Chile.
- Location: Av. Américo Vespucio 7, Huechuraba, San Pedro de Atacama, Región Metropolitana, Chile (Google Maps)
- Hours: Monday – Sunday 9am – 7pm
- Recommended Time: 3 hours
- How to Arrive: By car
- Distance from San Pedro de Atacama: 57.3 km / 35.6 miles
- Distance from Antofagasta: 312 km / 193 miles
- Ideal Month(s): All Year
The Lagunas Escondidas de Baltinache are a series of 7 transparent turquoise lagoons located 57 km outside of San Pedro de Atacama. The lagoons are an average of 5 meters in diameter, with the deepest lagoon measuring 6 m in depth. Of the 7 lagoons, only the first and the last are available to the public to swim in, (with restrictions), while the other five are protected. The water is relatively cold, at about 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius), but in the burning desert sun, it feels refreshing.